Thursday, August 31, 2006

Email Attachments

I have a question. I know that the Reference machines are locked down so that students can't do word processing or save anything at those machines. But if they can check their email from a Reference machine, shouldn't they be able to open an attachment to email? I had a student today who could only open the attachment if he saved it to the machine first. And since that's not possible on a Reference machine, I sent him downstairs to the lab. Is there some network security setting that prevents patrons from opening attachments on these machines?

4 Comments:

At Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depends on the attachment. There should be a "viewer" version of the basic programs installed for exactly the reason you describe - PowerPoint Viewer to look at PP slides, Word Viewer to open up documents, etc. Users should be able to see the attachment but not really work with it.

 
At Friday, September 01, 2006 12:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Kathy, you're right - I just tried to help a student open a Word attachment and it's definitely messed up. Jason confirmed. Ronalee and Jason are looking into it. It may be a load problem - yikes!

 
At Friday, September 01, 2006 12:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Friday, September 01, 2006 12:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's the deal. Attachments MUST be saved to the hard drive in order to be opened, and we cannot do that with the lab load. If a professor puts the document in Angel or CNAV or something, it can be opened - but not an email attachment. Ronalee assures us that it was that way in previous years. I'm not sure why it's more of an issue this year with students. Ronalee will talk with Rick to see if there is a workaround since it seems to be more of an issue this year.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home